Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Planning a funeral is difficult...my dad made it easier by having a list of his favorite songs and by listing some of the things that he would like. But, we could have used a week to prepare and have time to sit and think. After it was over I came up with more ideas...but the service was beautiful and a real reflection of the guy that my dad was.

I still don't think that it has sunk in as I keep thinking of things that I should be doing for him...and then realize that he doesn't need anything any more! He is with Jesus...that is a comfort.

His graveside service was amazing...21 gun salute, taps played by a bugler, flag service (which was presented to my brother, also an Army vet...very touching)...my dad was proud of his service to our country and it was an honor to see him honored...very touching for all of us. Darrell also had very kind words of comfort and it was so nice to know how well he knew our dad. Going to a small church definitely has it's advantages. We are thankful that Darrell's health permitted him to help us this week.

Debbie Fitzwater joined us for "I'll Fly Away" during the funeral. So much fun to sing with her again. God brings people into your life that will remain close even when the busyness keeps us from getting together very often.

There are so many things that God had worked out for us...my brother Gary had not left for Turkey yet, Tara had a few days off as is transitioning to working night shift, Dad's last nurse's name was "Kathryn" (differnt spelling, but dad's special women were both Catherine's), Carli and Kelsie were in-between exams, my sister-in-law Sally just had surgery but was able to make it home...Darrell could be with us...I'm sure there were many other things that I am forgetting, but it was amazing that we could all be together...what a legacy that my dad left...from my mom and dad I think that there are 44 of us, counting spouses...whew!!

Now the hard part begins...getting his affairs in order. We have to get his home cleaned out by the end of the month, and it is hard to think of everything that needs to be done. But, it will all work out...we have had fun looking at old photos and laughing and crying at the same time. The hard part for me is to see how he was declining...his handwriting and organization of his finances, etc. He was trying so hard to stay independent...

He will be missed...we loved him so...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your last posting was so touching, it brought tears to my eyes.....you guys were all in my thoughts and prayers on the day of the funeral. He will definitely be missed by all!!!

Unknown said...

I tell people that at least he had good timing to arrange his military funeral for veteran's day. It brings
a chuckle and agreement.